Did you know that the money you pay for parking goes towards lifeguards on the beach, keep the beach clean, provide emergency services, take care of stray and wild animals, warn everyone of impending inclement weather from the wind and tides, and generally keeping Tybee a safe and pleasant place to visit? Without out they money charged and received for parking, we would not be able to maintain Tybee the way it is. There is no free parking on Tybee but as you insert your coins or card remember that you are actually helping Tybee and you to have a better visit all around.
Please review the information below which describes the use of our Pay-and-Display parking system, which is enforced 8 AM – 8 PM, 365 days a year. Pay before you leave your car and leave your receipt on your car’s dash. To help you out, we provide details below in our Guide to Painless Parking on Tybee. We hope these tips help you have an easier time getting around the island.
Guide to Painless Parking
- The City of Tybee Island has made the transition to Pay-and-Display equipment. The barrier gate systems have been removed as well as many of the traditional parking meters. The rates are $1.50 per hour on the side streets and Butler Ave and $2.00 per hour at the beach-side lots, 8 AM to 8 PM year-round, including weekends and holidays.
- Annual decals are available at Tybee Island City Hall for $150.00 ($125.00 for those 62 or older) and are valid for one year from month of purchase. The decals must be placed on the driver’s exterior windshield in order to be valid. Motorcycle stickers are also available for the same fee and must be placed on the front forks of the bike for visibility to a parking officer.
- Visitors may purchase up to 3 days with a credit card at the Pay-and-Display machines.
To Pay With Cash:
Machines will accept nickels, dimes, quarters, and dollar coins.
1. Insert coins in the slot for the time desired.
2. Press print button.
3. Pull receipt from slot and display on the dashboard.
To Pay With Debit/Credit Card:
Minimum charge amount is for two hours.
1. Press blue button (+), press again to add more time (adds one hour at a time).
2. When desired time is reached, press green/Next button (P) to confirm the transaction.
3. Insert and remove credit card with the magnetic strip to the right.
4. Pull receipt from hinged slot area and display on the dashboard. The receipt from the Pay & Display machine is valid at any valid parking space, including the conveniently metered spots.
Table of Parking Fines
|Parking Against Traffic||$20||You must park in the direction of traffic|
|Expired Time||$20||You are parked past the amount of time purchased|
|Fire Hydrant||$100||Parking in front of or within 15 feet from a hydrant|
|Parking in Handicap Space||$100||Without a valid handicapped permit|
|Late Fee||$10||If you do not pay your fine before the due date, a late fee is assessed.|
|No Receipt||$35||A full day only costs a maximum of $24, depending on location|
|Prohibited Parking||$50||Parking at a yellow curb or non-designated space or area.|
|If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the City of Tybee Island at 912 472-5101.|
Remember to feed the meter and then go have fun at the beach! And remember your money is helping to keep Tybee wonderful, safe and clean which makes your stay and visit more enjoyable.
(information shared from www.cityoftybee.com/parking)